Firefighters were alerted to the fire by a passing motorist. Flames could be seen through a front window when firefighters arrived. The fire was brought under control in approximately 50 minutes. Over 20 firefighters were called to the scene to extinguish the fire.
The fire was caused by a heat lamp used to keep a piglet warm in the animal sales area. Unfortunately, the piglet and 2 rabbits did not survive the fire. Store employees were able to locate an iguana alive. Fire damage was limited to a section of the building that housed the animals and outdoor supplies. The entire building sustained significant smoke damage. Fire damage is estimated at $100,000 with additional damage to the inventory.